Monday, March 21, 2011

Melissa's Power Bars

I have been eyeing this recipe for a while, and finally decided to make them.  Can you say yum!?  These are better than Lara Bars.  Even the kids loved them.  I got the recipe from Melissa at Gluten Free For Good.  I love her blog, especially the interesting science/nutritional information she gives on occasion. 

Melissa used pecans, almonds, and apricots in her recipe.  I only had pecans at home, so I just doubled the amount of pecans called for and subsituted 1cup of dried cranberries for the apricots.  Instead of a gluten free flour mix I used 2 tablespoons each of rice flour and buckwheat flour.  And instead of maple syrup I used agave nectar.  So the final version was:

2 cups pecans
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup GF oats
2 tablespoons rice flour
2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
4 tablespoons ground flax
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

I will let you check out Melissa's site for the directions.  They were so good they were gone within hours.  I don't think you can go wrong with these bars, no matter what you substitute.
Enjoy!
-Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment