Friday, September 2, 2011

Third week of school

Things are both up and down at school.  On the plus side, H has discovered she can do math, and do it quickly.  It began as a competition (I was desperate; it was taking her an hour to do 5 problems).  I bet her she couldn't do 5 problems before I finished unloading the dishwasher.  Then it was 10 problems while I folded the clothes.  She was delighted to beat me, especially if I acted chagrined.  On my part I was amazed at how she was whizzing through the problems.  After a week of that, she is now doing all of her math at school at a normal pace, and not having to bring any of it home.  She even got a 95% on a recent math test.  Thank God!  On the down side, she is now dragging at spelling.  She is fairly decent at it, but has gotten it into her mind that she is horrible and it is taking forever to go over her words, the whole time she is moaning about it.  I think I may try making a competition out of that too, since it worked so well with the math (bribery doesn't work for her).  I'll let you know how it goes.  She is also having trouble (again) bringing home the right books for her homework.
'Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment